Bath Time=TERROR!  

Posted by: Anxious

Savannah has NEVER had a HUGE issue with bath time. As a newborn she didn't really like it but didn't protest much. Just fussed.

We went for her OT evaluation last week and one of the things they asked me was how she liked bath time. I simply said and without thinking. She does great now but hated it before. Since she has been able to sit up (8 months old) she has been just fine in the bath.

NOT ANYMORE!!!

This past week has been TERRIBLE!

I have to get everything ready...bath ran ...water off...baby naked...soap reachable...towel on the floor waiting.

and....GO!

Put baby in and she SCREAMS. She reaches for me and cries and cries. It is terrible. She acts like the water is burning her flesh off of her little body. I can bathe this child in less than a minute now. I grab her wrap her up and hold her until she calms down. I feel horrible. She has no idea why I insist on torturing her in the bath tub. it breaks my heart. I hate it....

I asked PT on Monday if things got worse? It seems to be with Savannah. She used to take a bath, eat baby food and even began eating a few finger foods....

Now...no baby food, no sippy cup, only bottle. SCREAMS through the bath which never bothered her before and still....seems to HATE night time.

PT said that OT would be better suited to answer that question but she did say that its a BIG roller coaster. Things will get better than not again...she also said that as she is moving more...new fears will come to play such as bathing etc.

I hope that this is short lived because it is a terrible feeling.

After her bath last night it RUINED the entire evening. She SCREAMED, punched, kicked, hit and if I put her down it was worse....I held her for hours waiting for my husband to get home. By the time he walked through the door....I was in tears. Justice was watching a movie totally oblivious (thankfully). DH took over until she wanted me again and was reaching for me. I took her, a deep breath and started all over....she finally passed out around 10pm. At 4 am. She was back up crying and coughing. Gave her some meds and snuggled with her in our bed until 630 when our day started.

It is 1230 now and I think...she is finally taking a much needed nap.

I soooo worry about how the new baby is going to affect her.

This entry was posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

3 comments

=( poor baby girl. I can't even begin to imagine the day to day struggles you are going through and how the heck you make it through. I know the road seems endless, but some day, you will be able to look back and say "wow, i DID this, I Made it through this."

Awwww :( You truely must be super mom, because I dont think I could handle it physically and emotionally. what about a sponge bath outside the tub? Put a towel down, get a bucket of water, the soap and cloth and just wash her there. For her hair can you lean her back into the sink and just do a quick dump of water? Im praying for you guys. (If he brings you to it he will bring you through it. Just hang in there)

Have you tried getting in the bath with her to see if that will help? I know that may be easier said than done, but maybe she will settle down if you are right there with her. I can half way relate wo what you're going through with the crying and wanting to be held, but it's really no comparison. Like Tiffany said, you are supermom!

Post a Comment